View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #13
rfmaster

Re: 87 TBI to Carb conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpine View Post
I bought the truck with all this after market stuff. Truthfully It was running great when I bought it, though I know the previous owner had just replaced the fuel filter.

To me, my problems started after I did an engine wash. I likely f***ed up it up.

By the way we already replaced the EGR valve as it had some kind of vacuum leak.

@rf. Thank You! That image is going in my project site right now!. I do need to learn how to troubleshoot the truck if I'm going to keep it.. though everybody I've talked to locally thinks TBI is a nightmare to figure out.. even if you are a so called mechanic.

Thanks guys.
JC - you welcome. A side note - MAP sensors are easily damaged by moisture. It is conceivable that when you washed engine bay some moisture got into MAP sensor. Unfortunately I am some 2600 miles to the west and I have a bunch of MAP sensors that I pulled from JY expeditions (as well as other stuff). Functionality of MAP sensor can verified with a hand-held vacuum pump and DVM. This test is a bit involved, perhaps I should put together a DIY test on the TBI swap thread. No fancy test equipment is requried. That is the beauty of TBI - it is a very simple EFI system.

The PO installed the best upgrade possible - I would keep it.

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote