View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 12:36 PM   #90
chtr65

Re: The rare "Red Seat"

Killer Bee, My experience with him was very similar to yours. He sent me a sample of original fabric, then sent me a pour remake in yardage. I have been in the trim business many years, mostly doing high end leather work on European cars. Many years ago you could find oem vintage fabric at our suppliers. They have all sold there inventory to either Original Fabrics in Michigan, or SMS. When the place in Michigan closed down, all his inventory went to SMS. I spoke to him many years ago about selling his inventory to SMS. He assured me that Doug @ SMS assured him that he would do business the same way. Well that never happened. As a rule when we had a customer come into our shop that needs original fabric we would tell the customer to deal with SMS. Never would we deal with Doug. Why would we have SMS (Doug) tarnish our reputation. There may be a few stashes still laying around in some of the old trim shops, but they are also going by the way side as trimmers are aging and retiring and few newer people taking up the trade. I can only hope that the word gets out about the real business person that he is.Sadly his is the main source for fabric in the vintage automotive world. I guess he has helped some people, but I personally know a lot of people that he has lied to. There is a fellow in the New England area that still has some vinyls but no fabric. I believe he runs an ad in Hemmings. My post was not to stop people from dealing with Doug, but just to let them know that the purchase of fabric will probably not be a smooth transaction.
chtr65 is offline   Reply With Quote