View Single Post
Old 05-22-2017, 04:12 PM   #21
Willie Makeit

Re: R12 Pricing, and what is "12A"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
Because when the engine stops the gasoline is not pressurized and even when running it is at like 2 psi. On an A/C system the high side can be over 200 psi and it doesn't stop having pressure when the engine stops.

Another thing is seals. The blends and/or hydrocarbon refrigerants can be hard on seals. Do what you want, I don't care. But in a full blown A/C job the refrigerant is really a minor part of the cost. What do you save by using off-the-wall refrigerants? Maybe $50? And when you do, no shop will touch it because they don't want to contaminate their machines.
We're not talking about shops doing the work, we're talking about folks like you and me who do it themselves.

For what it's worth, I have R134a in a Vintage Air system on my supercharged EFI 5.3 - it retains pressure once the engine is off . I don't disagree with what you are saying about costs, only that I find it amusing that folks get all worked up over the flammability when in reality there is more danger in one's fuel tank that what would be in their HVAC system.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote