View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 11:59 AM   #23
toolboxchev

Re: Daily Driver Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah96 View Post
Hey Guys I am currently building a 1969 GMC C2500 with 4spd 350. I know these trucks aren't built for mpg, but this summer I plan on driving 80 miles a day just want to make it reliable and stay cool and keep it from overheating. Any tips?
The Full Meal Deal.

New Copper and Brass 4 Core Radiator
New Water Pump with stamped steel impeller
New Heater Core, preferably Copper and Brass, the common aluminum ones do not fit right.

Completely flush the entire block and cooling system prior to to install new components. That includes the 2 plugs on the bottom of engine block.

Watch out for the cheap products that do not work, EPA has forced the chemical companies to use Sodium Citrate as the main cleaning agent in Radiator Flush systems. It does not do a good job at all. ( Been there, done that ).

Install a Schrader Air Valve into your cooling system, yup just like the one on tires they make them in brass. Use pressurized air with the Radiator cap off, so you do not blow out gaskets and other high pressure sensitive areas, to force rust and contaminants out of your cooling system.

Do all this with those bottom 2 engine block plugs out and your will see the crap and corrosion on the driveway when done.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote