Thread: April 2015 ToTM
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 10:19 PM   #12
vancelot69

Re: April 2015 ToTM

Shoot, I'll throw my hat in the ring!

NOTE: I just noticed that the qualifications said "unmatching paint scheme" which mine doesn't really. The only thing that could come close is the rockers and fender wells painted with what looks like POR black, and one section of the drivers side rear quarter looks silver in a certain light. If this disqualifies me, ahh well, c'est la vie, but I will leave my hat (and truck) here just in case I squeak in!

1st pic is the full view. You can see the bent grille, the driver's side bumper signal is missing, luckily the grille signals work. Both front and rear bumpers are "loose" in so much as if you push down on one side, the other side will rise. It is full of rust, way more than I had hoped for when I bought it, unfortunately. I think you can make out some rust patches on the drivers side rocker, the front part of the rear quarter, and the top rear part of the wheel opening part of the fender in this pic.

2nd pic is the drivers side rocker and front part of the rear quarter. Of note, when the drivers side door is open, the rear quarter can be moved by hand. The passengers side is solid and doesn't move when the door is open.

3rd pic is one of the rearward cross members at the frame mounting point. The rust is layering the metal at that point.

4th pic is the front drivers side lower shock mount. See how the nut isn't tightened all the way? The drivers side rear shock is worse! Worst part about that one, I'm not sure if, even if I get new shocks, if I can tighten the bolt enough without it pulling through the mount. I have a video of how loose it is, if it's possible to post videos!

5th pic is the passenger side rocker box.

Another thing to note, the rear drive shaft started wobbling a few months ago, so I pulled it, and when I went to press the u-joints out, the one on the front, where the slip joint is, that connects to the transfer case, the fitting was out of round so I couldn't press it out. So it's sat for several weeks, and when I get a wild hair up my butt, I drive it in "front wheel drive mode" without the rear shaft installed.
Attached Images

2003 HD Road King