Thread: Lost Headlights
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2017, 03:23 AM   #1
Northwest Outlaw

Lost Headlights

1961 Apache 10, SBC 350 swap, single wire alternator, headlights were working both high and low. I installed a Sunpro Tach and Voltmeter and lost headlights when I started the truck.

After the install I turned key to "on" and voltmeter read 12v. Then I turned on the lights to see what draw they have on the voltage. The gauge bounced a little and dropped to 11/11.5 and I turned them off. I started the truck to test the tach, it works. After I shut off the engine I went to turn on the headlights and running lights and got nothing. The parking light harness wires were warm.

The tach and voltmeter are plugged into ignition leads on the fuse block and grounded to sheet metal under the dash. The voltmeter is in the cluster but wires straight to the fuse block and ground. I did remove some unused wires from the cluster harness: the water temp, oil pressure light, generator light. I took the wires and blades out of the terminal plugs.
All the work was done with the negative battery post disconnected.

I'm new to all this, first car project. Looking for help walking through all the trouble shooting that will find the issue.
Thanks
Northwest Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote