View Single Post
Old 07-09-2021, 07:54 AM   #6
jathur02

Re: about to sink 25-30k into my 1989 Suburban..is it worth it? pics included

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterb View Post
You might be better off just buying something already finished and selling your current ride. Just a thought.

Otherwise, find all the parts you think it will take to install and talk with vendors that carry the parts and ask them what the typical install time should be for each item/kit.

Example. You would probably want to lower your front with a dropmember, so price out cost of dropmember, control arms, air bags, sway bar, shocks. Then ask what you should expect to pay for install or at least the hours required to install, they should have a ball park idea.

Secondly, search threads within the forum and look for someone who has cut the rear floor and tubs and raised it for axle and tire clearance and ask them how many hours it took them. Compare that to the time a fab shop quotes you for the work to get an idea of time required/cost.

Third, depending on your mechanical ability and time, research what aspects of the job you could do your self to save on labour.

Forth, when looking for a shop, rarely is cheaper better.

Fifth, be prepared to compromise to make the budget work. You could probably have a really awesome looking ride, without going to a 24x15 rear wheel, and instead go with an option where the rear diff doesnt need to be narrowed and frame only needing a notch vs needing narrowing.

Good luck. But don't expect a feasible answer to appear, you will need to put in the work to determine what the project is going to cost and define the true scope of work.

Cheers,
Dexter
I built a 92 blazer about 15 years ago, it was my first car and it ended up being featured in minitruckin/street trucks when they were still around, not sure if they still are haha, so I have some experience with the build. I gutted the interior already, but as far as the body work I was going to drop it off to his shop and have them do all of the work. Does 65.00 an hour seem fair to do this kind of work? I'm just hoping the quote that I got seems realistic to build a truck like this these days, I know his shop does quality work, but wanted to make sure.

I'm just loving the way the 24x15's look, I can't seem to get off of that style, I know it's way more expensive to go with this look though. Do you know of anyone on this forum that has done this kind of work to their truck? I have tried searching, but I can't find any Suburbans similar to mine on here. Thanks again for the detailed response, I appreciate it.
jathur02 is offline   Reply With Quote