View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
Smittee

Guess I need to start a build thread! (68 SW Fleet)

Well, I have been around for a couple of months now and figured I needed to start a thread on my truck. Not that anyone would benefit from it but what the heck.
This is the 2nd time around for me on rebuilding what was "the coolest" hot rod truck in town when I was a kid. About 12 years ago I was able to buy that truck from the long time family friend that owned it. I was ecstatic. Our son drovve it to high school his senior year in the configuration it was in when we bought it. (His buddies were definitely envious) Unfortunately (or fortunately) it was in primer and things started rusting. I had to take parts off to get that stopped. Mind you, when I bought it I had told my wife that it would NOT be a project. OOPS! Well, one thing led to another and before I knew it we were down to a frame only.
I had NEVER done any work like this so it was going to be a challenge. Fortunately I had some REALLY talented young guys that I could draw on for advice. Maybe you have heard of one-Darrin Cutter from Cutters Custom Stitchin! Great kid even BETTER at interiors! He and his buddies have taught me a lot. You "old" guys remember this, the younguns CAN teach us some things!
Fast forward to today. Last August I got the itch to replace the old suspension and start driving the truck more. A Harley Davidson had put it back to second fiddle! Started tearing the front suspension out and ordered a TCI bolt in front at the Street Rod Nationals. Couldn't wait to get it installed, but was going to have to since we were riding said Harley to WY and back during the last two weeks of August!
While on that trip I, unfortunately, herniated several disc in my neck. Nope, not a wreck at all. Hit a couple of bad bumps and bottomed out several times is all I can figure. So once I got home the m/c was put to rest for the winter and the truck was NOW NUMERO UNO! Of course, it was going to have to wait until I got healed up from the NECK SURGERY! I was able to get the old front suspension out (easy really) and the bolt up stuff in before the surgery.
Once I could I ordered the Ridetech rear Strong Arm suspension and got it in. Since then I have been trying to get the other items all in place on the frame so that I can then repaint it.
Also replaced the gas tank and rear cross member. Plan to replace the cross member in front of the tank as well.
I must say that I have been having much more fun working on the truck this go round since my wonderful wife allowed me to build a new 30'X54' shop back in 2012! The old shop was a 1.5 bay BARN that I had kind of cleaned up to make a "shop". Working in there now is night/day different then back then.
Well, sorry to be so windy but just wanted to give you the back story. I hope you can get some enjoyment out of my thread. Stay tuned-later on I am sure I will have some parts that need a new home.
Attached Images

Smittee is offline   Reply With Quote