View Single Post
Old 05-24-2017, 02:10 PM   #40
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: Transfer case torque mount

Sitting here eating my lunch I looked up the parts images on the 85 k series trucks in the gm parts catalog. Hmm I was wrong on one level. The 208 case does have mount holes in the side of the case similar to the early 205's. However they used them to mount the strut rod to the trans bellhousing.

Seems as if GM wanted the t-case, trans and engine to rotate under torque in the same fashion. The strut still helps support the weight of the t-case but not tying it to the frame allows it to rotate with the trans rather than tie it down.

The whole point is if you tie the passenger side of the t-case down but the engine can still lift up off of the passenger side mount under forward torque the result will either crack the bellhousing of the trans or the t-case adapter.

GM did make a change in design and wisely moved away from the side t-case mount. For you 67-72 4wd guys it's up to you to run it or not. If you want a 100 point dead nuts original restoration you'll want it there, but twisting it up off road will be the last thing you do so it probably won't break anything. If you do intend to play in the dirt, be aware gm didn't use interlocking engine mounts until 73 so the older stuff will allow a lot of movement if the passenger side mount breaks. Add that with the torque mount and a heavy right foot you will see the adapter break on a manual trans truck or the bellhousing on an auto.

Just depends on how you use it.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote