View Single Post
Old 05-24-2017, 02:58 PM   #41
BILT4ME

Re: Transfer case torque mount

We have a 1970 GMC K2500, 350/4SP/205

It has seen a LOT of towing in its life. The rear pinion was replaced once, the spiders blown out, and the center pin welded into the carrier.

The T-Case mount has the lower part cracked and broken off where it bolts to the 205.

The engine mounts in it were not broken, but I'm sure they have been replaced multiple times.

We are replacing all transmission and engine mounts, but we are also adding the Torque Limiting Cables used on the 64-69 Impala's.

I think after reading all the pros and cons of all this and seeing what is actually already broken on our truck, I think this will allow us to use the truck and limit the amount of twist it will see if being used hard.

I previously built a 69 K1500 using a 1960 frame with the divorced T221 (3 driveshafts) and it HAD to be mounted separately. I used the torque limiting cables on it, and I was able to pull out loaded semi's, dump trucks, and tree stumps without rolling over the engine or breaking the engine mounts.

I would have preferred to also upgrade the engine mounts to those used in the 75-87 trucks, but I didn't want to modify the frame cross members.

I do recall on my brother's factory stock 1968 K20 HD with a 292 6 cyl, 4Sp,and married T221, that he had to replace the cast adapter between the trans and TCase once due to having broke in half. Yes, that TCase was secured by the rubber mounts on the side as well.

So, I have personally seen (2) manual transmission trucks with the married TCase that have broken either the adapter or the bracket.

I will remove the bracket from our rebuild on the 1970 GMC. We'll see what happens.