View Single Post
Old 08-11-2018, 01:46 AM   #11
markizme

Re: Sloppy Steering GMC 2500 1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
I think what he means is the actual steering gear.

Also, I am unclear on what you are describing, is it a hydraulic cylinder on the center link/tie rod? I have always heard that called "ram assist"

A power steering gear has ports for the hydraulic fluid, and a ram-assist-gear is essentially a power steering gear with additional ports that feed the lines to the ram.

Agree with the guy who said send it to Redhead for a rebuild. They seem to be a very reputable operation. If you can't afford to have your truck out of service that long for them to rebuild the steering gear, call them up and see if they could supply you with a rebuilt gear, then you send yours in for the core charge.
It is a RAM ASSIST system. I replaced the mounting bushings on the business end of the cylinder today and notice a bit of play in both, the ball joint of the control valve where the pitman arm attaches, and a bit of play in the box itself. I will adjust the box tomorrow to see if it helps. The bushings just tightened up the wander if that makes sense. Can anyone tell me if a little side to side play lengthwise in the control valve at the ball joint is normal? I searched redhead steering and found a box they claim will work but it is a power box and I need manual. I sent them an email for a bit of clarification. On top of everything, if I change the box, I would like to go with a closer ratio box. That big steering wheel and 4 1/2 turns lock to lock leaves that truck a bit less responsive than I wish for. Once again, thank you all for your info and help. You all are great!
markizme is offline   Reply With Quote