View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 12:23 PM   #13
6T8&O-her-1

Re: Electric Choke Wiring Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
He said he has HEI, can't he just tap into that power source?
This is where the area of "Tapping in" gets tricky...At least in my case. I am currently having trouble with my ignition dropping out on me after driving on the highway, or for just driving a constant speed for about 5 mins.. The Truck I bought about a month ago has the Choke wire tapped into the Distributor B+ wire. The other day when mine quit like it had No fire, No fuel, Backfired several times then just quit running all together. I pulled over and was checking for fuel in the filter...It was Slammed Full so that ruled out fuel delivery. I left the key on where the "GENERATOR" light was still on. I was looking around and then saw some smoke coming from the wire Harness on the firewall. Whoaaaaa! It was coming from the Cloth, or Whatever material they use to cover the B+ wire, but it was coming from where the Choke was spliced in, all the way up through the harness to where it plugs into the Firewall / Fuse box on the other side. My theory is, Whatever is in the choke that Bends (Spring??? Bi-metal strip?), moves, or does its doo, was causing a short circuit on the B+ wire and Killing the IGN. I have been battling this for 2 weeks, and finally saw something to direct me into this direction. One night it was spitting and backfiring so bad, I could see plumes of black smoke behind me so it makes sense....When the choke Fails it closes right??? (or is the other way around where it will only close when voltage is present??) and that will dump fuel into the motor so now it makes sense to me of all the smoke. I have sense replaced the Coil, and the Ignition Module thinking one of these may be heating up but it still cut out on me. I have not been able to test it since disconnecting the Choke wire from B+ wire due to the weather. But I wonder if anyone else has ever had this problem or a problem with the Electric choke causing a Ground or blowing Fuses??? I am using a Holley Carb. This is the only thing I can think of that could cause this...Any takers?
6T8&O-her-1 is offline   Reply With Quote