Old 10-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #13
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Re: Cracked Exhaust Manifold Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Bursell View Post
Hello,

Background:
Finally getting my 67 C10 w/ L6 250 ready to drive. There had been a nasty off-idle stumble. Changed the points and set it up and it started and ran and drove great. Got rid of all the problems. I was loving it for a day. I was so excited that I went and changed everything else you would do in a good complete tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter, pcv, breather, even a new coil). Much to my disappointment I started the truck and instantly it had a bad miss really noticeable right off idle. Worse than anything before. I started changing everything back figuring something was bad and it was still there after putting all the original parts on. I figured I'd start looking for a vacuum leak and when I started looking around I saw a big crack in my exhaust manifold. Right near the center.

Questions:
Could this crack in the exhaust manifold be causing this miss? Or is it likely that I have multiple problems? Do I need to find a good used one or are these produced anyplace? Or, is there a better alternative to replace this with-- that would bolt on and not require extensive modifications.

Thanks,
Adam
I dont feel that the crack in the manifold will cause you a missfire.....you can weld or braze it to "plug the leak", but short of replacing the manifold , anything is short lived Going into my Long lost points playing....you will get a little wear really quick...maybe recheck the dwell & timing. Play for what you can find to "fit", but I do agree that your pionts dist has more mechanical advance , than an HEI does....you will to trim the initial back a tad, to make it right. Figure 8-10 initial, on the HEI, with a slower curve....lots of good info goin in the post, just roll with it best of fun, crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote