View Single Post
Old 02-10-2020, 01:10 PM   #17
Volfandt

Re: 235 Compression ratio upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlouDon View Post
Would the intake from a late 250 fit the 235?

I'm toying with the idea of grafting the double or tripple SU side draft setup from a 4.2L Jag six onto the 250 manifold and bolting this lot to the 235. That should solve most carb issues surely? (want to keep all 235 parts in storage.)

I'm not interested in HP. I'm only interested in maximizing torque, idle up to 2500 RPM.
The 230/250/292 series engines are longer than the Stovebolt series engines and they are not direct bolt on. It's a shame since the 230/250/292 intakes and heads flow much better.

Try and find a 54/55 Vette 3 carb intake and it's matching dual exhaust manifold but be advised they aren't cheap. And they won't do you any good without changing to a 261 or hotter cam.

You could also try adapting 2 of those SU side drafts to a 235 dual carb intake with some kind of 90 degree adapter but without a cam upgrade you'll be wasteing gas.

The 261 engine is the torque monster of the Stovebolt series engines and it would be a direct bolt-in. You may have to swap the front motor mount off of the 235 to it but even in it's stock form you'll feel the difference over a 235.
Chevy only put them in 1 ton and bigger trucks/buses from the factory. That would be your best bet to get more torque.

Changing over to a 250 or 292 is almost as much work as going with a V8 so keep that in mind. Course one can build either that'll challenge a SBC.

You won't gain much, if anything by upping the carb size over the stock carb on a stock 235. You can increase the main jet in a stock carb and do better if your exhaust flows better than stock otherwise adding more or bigger carb's is just eye candy on a stock 235.

I'm no expert and haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn in years (joke) but in my non-professional experience there isn't much one can do to a 235 to improve it's performance that already hasn't been done by the Chevy Engr's on the 54/55 Blue Flame 235.

Good luck
Volfandt is offline   Reply With Quote