View Single Post
Old 12-28-2017, 11:37 PM   #21
nikwho

Re: Escalade EXT AWD/C10 Swap???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
So is it actually ok to cut and weld the frames of the newer trucks and SUV’s? I always heard they couldn’t be cut...”safely”
I've cut and welded a few older frames, a late model suburban & helped a buddy with a newer '03 or '04 Power Stroke Super Duty frame that he was shortening and swapping under an early Bronco. The only thing that I have heard about the newer frames is that they are dipped in wax, for corrosion protection. Grinding or sanding doesn't remove the wax, it melts it and the depeer you sand or grind, the deeper the wax goes. Wax is no bueno for weld quality. I have personally scraped it, scrubbed with degreaser and really hot water, then wiped with mineral spirits prior to welding. Obviously (maybe) disconnect the battery. No other issues with welding on newer steel frames, that I've heard of, other than general safety, welding around fuel lines, and so forth.

There's a pretty good .pdf file that I found that has some good info on cutting/splicing/etc. Here's a bit from that pdf that address metal prep prior to welding:

"All OEM frames are dipped in wax for improved
corrosion protection. Before beginning any welding
operation, locally remove the wax using one of the
following methods:
— Steam
— Hot water at approximately 500 PSI
— Scrape and then use mineral spirits to wipe off
any remaining wax."

Here's a link to that .pdf file:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...F1atPlH9b2tkqX

Last edited by nikwho; 12-28-2017 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Grammar
nikwho is offline   Reply With Quote