View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 04:06 AM   #31
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Polar Bear Suburban

I know I still can’t believe the purchase price either. That is why I couldn’t pass up this rig regardless if I needed or not. I feel like I lost all chances of ever winning the lottery now being my lifetime lucky score was this rig. The seller was pretty desperate for cash and the tire kickers that looked at it before me were put off by the loose steering column (it was really bad! Worse loose GM Saginaw tilt column I’d ever seen!) and the fact it badly needed a clutch. Unless you spin wrenches yourself, fixing the steering column probably would have cost at least $300-$500 then the clutch could have cost another $700-$1000 at most shops with today’s door rates and ridiculous parts markups dealers and independent shops are asking. Most people (unlike us crazies!) aren’t up for an undertaking a needy vehicle like that which was good or me in this case. By the time someone would have paid someone else to fix everything, this thing would have been your typical $3000-4000 used 22 year old Suburban. Like the ole saying….”Mechanic’s Special” is what this Sub is all about. Nothing difficult or crazy expensive to fix just a bunch of little stuff and a lot of sweat equity.

Oilbrnr, I am not really sure what we will use it for but it will sure make a neat shop ornament. My wife’s current car lease is up in 10 month so she may take back her old Tahoe Z71 (my current daily driver) to be her daily driver being she only works 5 miles from home and I’ll use the Sub to go back and forth to the airport when I have to leave the home office (I don’t like to leave the powder puff low mileage 2001 Silverado HD at the airport). Our annual week long desert trips to UT and AZ are getting pretty popular with friends and family too and the K10 with the camper is only a 2 seater. The Sub will make a great chase vehicle for those that would like to follow along and make for a great second bedroom (Hmm, maybe an Outfitter opportunity someday?? ). I have much more faith in the off-roadablity and reliability in this 22 year old straight axle Sub than I do our 2004 Tahoe Z71 that we bought new. The newer GM SUV’s aren’t great for off road driving (IFS, push button 4wd, meh….) but they are just decent all weather comfy vehicles for daily chores…..Not worth the crap if you leave civilization IMHO
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote