View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 08:37 PM   #2
MARTINSR

Re: Fleetside side panel dented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
My son has a '66 Fleetside (short bed) and there is a large dent on the right side in front of the right rear wheel. The dent is approx. 12"x12". The previous owner apparently tried to fix it likely with a slide hammer...it didn't work! I tried to pull it out, but every time I pull it out, it pops back in. I'm no auto body guy, but I do know how to do some basic bodywork and paint (I did my '60 C10 last year). Does anyone know how i can get that dent to stay in place? I've been researching "metal shrinking", but I've never done that. I'm not afraid to try that, I just want to make sure I have a good idea on what I need to do. I did try a slide hammer too, but when I pull the dent out, it'll pop back in once I let off the pressure on the slide hammer. I know the best thing to do is to replace that side panel, but my son's funds aren't allowing him to do that just yet. The truck is not a show truck, but of course we'd like to do the best we can. Thank you in advance.
It's likely being held in by a "crown" on the edge of the dent. Look for a high spot around the dent, put some pressure out on the dent while tapping that crown in and the dent should stay out.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote