View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 11:59 PM   #10
AcampoDave

Re: 1971 350 question

Sorry, I shouldn't have been negative, just the day I had yesterday. I once considered a t5 myself but after researching them I felt that they really wouldn't hold up over the long term to anything but gentle driving. I also discovered that many of them seemed to have a very low 1st gear which would result in either grabbing second midway thru an intersection or just simply taking off in second gear. At that point I kinda thought it was more suited for a stock inline 6 and I pursued other options. My point about "less is more" was about having a well mannered cruising motor. You want to keep your power curve where you do your driving. I'll leave it to more experienced engine builders to recommend an actual cam, but I will say i kept my mine on the conservative side and used the Melling MTC-1(old school r.v grind, pretty much a Summit 1102) which was economical and combined well with my Performer EPS manifold and dual exhaust. I do hope your Mallory has a vacuum advance because street driven motors kinda need that to feel "peppy" in traffic. Again my apologies for being snide yesterday. It was just a bad day.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote