View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 05:43 PM   #3
wildwilly

Re: Distributor CMP Offset Issue

Sorry guys for not posting and update sooner ... Life gets in the way sometimes. I moved the distributor back to the stock location. I could set the CMP to zero and had room for up to +4 before hitting the intake. Initially it was +2 within spec. I drove it a bit and it was happier, no ping I then dialed it back to zero per advice and it was a bit better. When I have a chance I may try -2 just to see. I inspected the original distributor a bit more closely and the gears are worn pretty good.

I used my FAST flash programmer that reads error codes and CMP. I had the programmer mainly for tire size adjustment, but the tunes are decent. The first thing I did was back to stock when I had the pinging so I elliminated that. There are some phone apps that work with OBD 2 Bluetooth adapters that read CMP. You have to pay a few bucks for them to get the CMP, but reasonably cheep.

I have a cheep Amazon blue tooth OBD 2 and the trial versions worked. I had to try them to see if CMP was included for free before I discovered the FAST programmer had it. I tried dash command and car gauge for the CMP offset, but ended up not needing to purchase it. I have used the free Torque app for a long time for the basics, but I could not find specifically if the paid version had CMP.

Anyway check your distibutor gears and replace it if worn ... The summit racing billet distributor is super nice and at a better price than the big name brands ... Upgrades the stock plastic ... Time will tell on the gear. Before my engine install that came with a new distributor I never has an issue in the stocker after over 200k, the second one did not make half that so we will see on this summit version.
wildwilly is offline   Reply With Quote