View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
ryans69chevy

Re: Applying weld-thru primer

Thank you all for the responses. Here is a pic of the current weld thru I'm using. Like I said I was annoyed with oreillys only having one in stock at a time and they tried telling me they didn't sell the stuff to begin with. Finally had to convince the guy to look up the part number on their site.

Anyways... Foot Stomper, I actually just meant I wear a respirator when welding with weld-thru primer. i guess I wasn't aware of needing one when welding with bare cold rolled steel :/ what's the reason for needing one in that situation?

I'm still a bit confused... so let's use the interior header panel of these cabs. That is a common issue and one that I just got done doing.
After it was all trimmed to fit in place I removed all the paint across the whole panel where it gets spot welded to the windshield brace. So the entire "lap" on the panel as well as the windshield brace. I then sprayed weld-thru to cover up all the bare metal which is the entire lap where the two metals will be sandwhiched together. And finally put my respirator on and start spot welding back in place.

I'm just wondering if I'm doing it correctly or am I wasting weld-thru since I'm spraying this stuff throughout the entire lap instead of only the exact locations where the spot weld occurs. After reading this can of weld-thru I'm wondering if I should be putting the panel in place and marking where the spot welds will occur and spray those "dots" and a few inches both ways with weld-thru and then spray the remainder of the bare metal with a automotive primer.

I hope this makes sense... I maybe should have taken a few more pics of the process to show I'm talking about.

Brain, thanks for the little tid bit. I actually read that on the can which is kind of strange to me... my thoughts are that the more you have on the more protection, but this must not be true. The can states "do not over saturate" and "one light coat".
Attached Images

ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote