View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 05:35 AM   #19
MalibuSSwagon

Re: 1986 Short bed 2WD

After the bath, cleaned up and painted the intake. Duplicolor Graphite wheel paint with a nice clear coat on top. EGR valve flat blacked

Aww yea

New Melling MTC1 RV cam, Speed Pro lifers, double roller timing chain.

Mr Injector fuel injector rebuild kit for Bosch injectors. Highly recommended, he includes an extra set of parts in case you break something. In my case I destroyed a pintle cap.

I cleaned the injectors by soaking them in fuel injector cleaner, the type you dump in a tank of gas. They came out squeaky clean after an overnight soak. Flushed them out using compressed air, then rebuilt them using the new parts. This is a very helpful page if you are looking to save a few bucks doing this yourself. http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/DIYF...orCleaning.htm

Done!

------------------------------
Pulling the patient in for surgery.

First of all, we need to shed some light on the subject here. I found this worked out very well. Used some stiff wire to make loops to hold this light up.

Old and busted

Good bye carb! Hopefully I do not have to deal with you again.

500 lb intake gone! that was painful to remove.

Hot tip for those removing the cam from your square with the engine in. GM put this bar down the exact middle of the core support, conveniently in line with the cam.

Great design GM, thanks. I hammered the bar forward just enough for me to be able to angle the cam out of the block. Putting in the new cam was a similar story, but with sticky assembly lube.

Double roller chain on! The original GM chain was worn to hell, I believe I was the source my the stumbling issue the engine was having. Also the fuel pump lobe was completely wiped off the cam. Wowzers.

Valley cleaned up, new lifters in!

Shiny fuel pump block off installed!

Moving along in the reassembly phase, lower intake manifold and fuel rail in.

Lets pause for a moment and reflect on why it is great to work on a truck in a crowded garage.

Got lucky at the junkyard and scored full length braided GM fuel lines off a 91 TBI pickup. Got all this line and an S10 throttle cable for $10.

Getting closer - distributor stabbed in, Wiring harness run and mostly wrapped.

Awesome.

Fuel line routing is coming along.

And we are at today.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote