View Single Post
Old 08-21-2017, 06:24 PM   #1
paintman

stainless mustang tank, Autometer guage, bad ground?????

Gentlemen! 46 chevy pickup here andI have an issue with my fuel guage. I re-wired my entire truck front to back with an Amerian Autowire kit and everything works except the fuel gauge. I have a 22 gallon stainless mustang tank with a sending unit that came with the tank. I also called Autometer and had them send me what is susposedly the proper ohm/gauge for the sending unit.

When I key the ignition and start the truck all the guages work except for the fuel reading. The fuel guage light works fine, but the needle stays at empty. Originaly I thought my problem was that the tank was not grounded properly because I mounted the tank with foam weatherstripping under the tank to prevent chaffing (I know I was over thingking it). LOL! Any ways I made up a 10 guage ground wire with ring terminals and mounted one end to the tank using an unused mounting hole. The other end of thw wire I ran to ground on the chassis. Unfortunately this did nothing for my problem

I guess my question is.........What the hell could be wrong? Do I not have my tank grounded well enough with a 10 guage wire? Does stainless ground the same as steel?

Or perhaps Autometer sent me the wrong guage and I'm just pissin up a rope?

I really don't want to pull the whole guage panel apart until I have tried all other options. Can I check the guage by disconnecting the wire at the sneding unit and just touching it to ground with the key on? If the guage is working wouldn't the guage read full at that point?
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote