Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 02:58 PM   #1886
skorpioskorpio

Re: Make it handle

This revelation sent me on a Google mission, apparently dual calipers are fairly common, but not for the reason at hand. It seems this is a common trick among drifters, with one caliper connected to the pedal and the other connected to individual hand brake levers.

It's also been used on quite a few F1, endurance racers and rally cars. I agree you would probably need to split the lines, vs. series, perhaps even splitting the lines *and* providing an additional pressure balance line from caliper to caliper, just thinking. While I think master cylinder piston volume matters, of course it would, but I am looking at this from a standpoint of using 2 Z51 sliding calipers (2 pistons each) and given that the master is the same as used on Z06 calipers (6 pistons each) I am not sure it wouldn't be something you could deal with, especially in a hydroboost setup. In the grand scheme of things, even the 2 piston Z51 calipers can dead lock a pretty big sticky tire, it's just a matter of how many times it can do it in what period of time.

I also wonder about using 2 different pad compounds in a setup like this, where say you use a hot track compound on one inner and one outer, in opposite calipers, and a cooler street compound on the other sides. Sliding calipers should level out the wear, and one on each side of the rotor should even out the temperature. I can see where this could give you extended heat range in your brakes, decent cold stopping and extended resistance to high temp fade.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote