View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 12:43 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Wiring problems before inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71C10Guy View Post
So about a week ago my blinkers, wipers, blower motor, reverse lights, and brake lights all went out at once. I have no explanation for it, but now my alternator only seems to kick on after I use my blinker, which also makes my brake lights go off on whatever side I turned my blinker to. Is there a central fuse for accessories behind the main panel or something? Or any kind of explanation of this all happening at once after a year and a half of the truck being back on the road?
Btw the previous owner had all kinds of aftermarket electronic stuff on the truck that my dad and I ripped out without discretion, so the entire truck is basically just a giant ball of ubconnected and stripped wires. Also what's left of the original wiring harness is spliced into so many times it might as well be a tree. There are splices on top of splices on top of splices on some of the wires. I know this will just take time to sort out or a new wiring harness. My question is possible reasons for multiple systems going out all at once?

It's really hard telling what is going on with all of the problems you have, and the wiring being messed up like it is. I would just replace the under dash wire loom with a good stock one to start with. It really isn't as hard as it appears and it will give you a clean slate to start with. Just make sure you get one from a truck with the same type instrument cluster you have, and same transmission, & AC/NON AC. Also make sure the fuse holders are not rusted which is common.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote