View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 08:01 AM   #7
Ironangel

Re: Question on replacing front pillar and cab mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
That outer cab floor extension that includes the inner rocker is by far one of the best patch panels to come from the aftermarket for these trucks.

I used them on both sides of my cab. Made life a helluva lot easier.

Gary
Have to agree. You can resell your existing inside rocker panels on the parts board to recover some payment. Not to rain on your parade but you are essentially replacing the whole floor of the cab. If you plan on keeping the truck then cobbling the floor together is no big deal. But if you plan on a resale of the truck it will lower the resale value a bit. It will also make the final fit up of the door very difficult and will make the final line up of the lower door look bad. I understand that availability and budget wont allow acquiring a cab in better shape but for someone taking on a first time body panel replacement job...I wish you were closer so I could come help because your patients and skills will tested.. On the bright side of this endeavor, you will be a qualified expert when that door fits and closes properly...So lets get on with it shall we, your in a heated shop and that's a BIG plus as well! After studying your pics you have most the panels necessary to do the job except three or four. Like myself and Gary suggested, you really should get a pair of those #6 panels. Your also going to need a pair of "kick panels"...If you look at the pics RustBucket posted, you can see he's used a panel #6. We suggest these panels because they have pre drilled holes for easy fit up, takes the guess work out of fit up. Your also going to need a part he has shown in his last pick, the lower rear pillar repair parts, not sure if you have those yet? Might be what I see in one of your pics. Take a close look at his pics and note the end of a cross bar he has tacked to hold the door opening...That opening is critical to your door fit up! It would be worth your time and effort to find a similar year truck for measurement and match that opening! Your X brace is good but needs to be boxed in to hold. A 1/4" too narrow or too big will kill a door fit up! Take that from one who learned the hard way...Using the search option and build pics from other members will help immensely in the order of assembly. The rolled and bent edges on the panels are necessary for fit up and in final assembly for things like the weather stripping..."Let the games begin!" If you have a vendor in Canada that sells "Tri-Plus" panels, go for those...If memory serves correct, https://www.classicparts.com/Patch-P...oducts/316/5/0 sells the Tri-Plus panels...For considerably less than LMC. I use LMC for their graphics and ease of description...Those number 6 panels can be had from Classic parts of America for like $30 cheaper than LMC and they are Tri-Plus panels. Tri-Plus is if not the best, one of the best panels out there...I state that from experience as well...Good luck!
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote