View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #17
bufmatmuslepants

Re: Project "vanity Yukon"

My take on cleaning leather: I did a good amount of research and it the name Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner kept coming up, so I bought a bottle of each, and a set of white cleaning towels. I sprayed the Lexol leather cleaner on the seat, then used a scrub brush and worked it into the leather. It got the majority of the dirt and mold off, but there are still circles from some of the mold in the seats that I cant get out. I tried scrubbing a little harder in spots and took the grey out a little, its now a duller, darker grey in spots. The top of the seat leather piece, below the head rest, and the head rest, are extremely hard from time and sun. I had a 98 Altima that the leather had gotten so hard from a decade of sitting in the sun at Topsail Beach that they felt like sitting on wood. This is what that piece of these seats feel like. The back seats are super soft and supple now after 2 rounds of cleaner and conditioner, I want the fronts to get like that, but I don't think they ever will. The passenger maybe, but the driver is just too far gone from sitting in that junkyard with no window. I may have found another seat with a rip on the inner piece of leather, not the outer that is typical, so I may buy that seat and take the inner, non ripped piece from my moldy seats and either try to sew it on myself, or have an upholstery shop do it, if I get time. The other seat I found is heated, and he has the passenger seat that is also heated and clean too, he wants $40 for each seat, I may just get both. The only options I think this truck DIDNT have are rear AC controls and heated leather.

We leave for CT in 9 days, my plan is still to sell this truck and buy an 00-06 Tahoe by then, then fix up the 00-06 Tahoe before the trip. My wife is already starting to doubt its going to happen, so this truck may need to get the nod. I soaked the rear bumper bolts in PB Blaster last night, so hopefully tonight I can swap the rear bumpers and clean the exterior of the truck, get some pictures, and list it tomorrow. Still need to pull off the ABS sensors and clean them to hopefully fix that issue, if I cant Ill order new sensors, but Id like to save that $60 if I can. So for I am into this truck $1100 for purchase price, $90 for 1-2 shift solenoid, filter, gasket, fuel injector cleaner, and synthetic tranny fluid, $35 for synthetic 10w-30 oil and filter (Advance had a killer deal on Penz Platinum from Natural Gas), $12 for the wrong coolant temp sensor, $15 for the correct coolant temp sensor, $45 for the seat, $90 for the bumper, sun visors, and guage bezel, so $1387. Hoping to list it for $4000, and get $3500.
1995 NZZ GT4 2dr Tahoe 3" lift 14 bolt sf 155k 305/70/16s - GONE
1994 Z28 M6
1995 Z71 GT4 G80 ext cab short bed 215k GONE
1997 GT4 G80 Yukon 4 door leather, sunroof 168k miles GONE
2003 Avalanche Z71 GT4 G80 165k miles

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 11-05-2014 at 08:30 AM.
bufmatmuslepants is offline   Reply With Quote