View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
Steve-W

Re: 1969 Custom/10 clean up

last weekend I organized a grease monkey/ smoker BBQ session and invited some friends over for my front end swap.

first we had to deal with some bolts that were grinded off on the '73 crossmember, but fortunatly they didn't give us any trouble.

then we took of the headers and found the were mounted with the original 6 sided bolts instead of the Allen bolts (hope you know what I mean, i have to use an online translater to find some words )
this told me whoever put them on had to use a open ended spanner to tighten them..hence the leakage..
we were smiled upon again, because also they came out without any hassle.

I had told my friends I would spray WD40 on all the bolts and nuts of the crossmember earlier that week, so it would come off easily..ofcourse I hadden't and when it was time to unbolt it, I attended to my smoker to check on the meat
When I heard a scream I assumed it was because of a rounded or broken off bolt...but no, it was because it was laying down on the ground already.
happily I accepted all compliments on my good preparation, but actually I was wondering why the bolts came out so easily...

It's a law in automotive mechanics..when everything seems to be according to plan, the **** hits the fan! the '73 crossmember fits like a glove, but some of the holes didn't line up, so I widened up 2 holes and have to drill 2 new ones, but I'll do that when the crossmember is in place. I found out the the widened holes still are not correct, so we'll have to take it down one more time .

the arrows show the holes not lining up

Yeah..diskbrakes!

the '73 has a sway bar, the '69 didn't..so where to mount??

That's what we call a 10 pound brisket!

That's what we call Texas style smoked brisket!

2 of my friends took their Harleys along, a roadking and a fatboy (sounds like the title of a B-movie

Here a picture of my mate in Riverside Ca. he has the new cab for my truck. bothe he and his brother drive a '69 C10

he uses it for the heavy lifting 2000 pounds of roof tiling!!

more updates soon!
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote