Thread: garage heater
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 11:57 AM   #10
midniteblues

Re: garage heater

🔝

Wood hog that's a good one. also doubles as a lunch warmer too.
I had a Kodiak insert here for a few years and never hooked it up.

YES! I finally have a follow up to one of my many threads (im terrible with follow ups)even though it's a cheesy one.
I have a little fear over wood stoves in "my" garage. You never "plan" on spilling gas it's a accident. Those fumes spread across the floor and WHOOF!
It's not like you can just turn off a wood or coal stove.

If you think that's a wood hog you aughta try feeding this one for a season. It's in my buddy's shop and wow does it throw some heat and go through wood but he has a big area too heat.

Anyway bringing this back up too show my heater project finished(well almost) I'm still moving a few cabinets around on that side and have too install the thermostat,fire extinguisher,and co detector away from the heater yet.

I gave the burner a tune up and a clean up pulled the cabinet apart inspected the firebox and heat exchanger all looked good.

I only used 4" ducting straight up and out the roof with a China hat cap. But I couldn't find a 4" draft door thingy so I did without it for now.

The oil pump had a infeed and a return line so 50' of tubing was needed too run too my makeshift tank behind my garage.

I used a 55 gallon plastic drum for the tank.
plumbed in through one of the caps and made a easy vent in the fill cap.

I've yet seal up my doors yet but I have the peices too do so but that's gonna require some outside painting.

So for now I'm happy too say that since it's been up and running it will keep my uninsulated shack of a garage at nice comfortable working temp.

The floor is really what gets ya. That cold concrete is chilly and without nice boots on you don't wanna be out there long.

Since I have the hot air discharge coming out at floor level it helps SO MUCH!

I never intended this too run constantly only when I'm out there I run it. Once I get a ceiling up and some insulation then we will see how much better it works too leave it on.

I have been out a few nites when it was 32 or below outside and I could keep it 70 inside but that's still too much for me working and wearing my coveralls I found 55 degrees is about the sweet spot for me and the heater.

Glad I invested the $50 for this heater and about that much for the install.
So much quieter and fume free than my turbo heater and I'm not worried about melting anything or constantly moving it away from burning anything...but I'll still hang on too that.
Attached Images

'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote