Thread: 47-55.1 My 4" drop axle
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #10
mick53

Re: My 4" drop axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
It just doesn't look like it's dropped 4" over stock. I think it may be 4" over the stock Ford axle for which it was used. That is a transverse spring dropped axle like from a 34 Ford, with spring perches welded on it to work on the truck. But those just don't look like they are 4" over the stock truck. Here is a 3" dropped similar axle made with forged ends on a piece of tubing.

I know Pete and Jakes has been around 40+ years, they have made more axles than probably anyone, so I have to believe they know what they are doing and it will be a fine axle. But I just have to question about the drop amount, it doesn't look right to me. On the last photo you posted it looks like from the top of the spring mount if a straight edge were ran over to the king pin mount it looks like it would only be a few inches between the straight edge and the bottom of the axle where the king pin goes. On the photo I posted which is only a three inch drop (over stock) that distance looks further, three inches or so at least.

Brian
I think that's what it is with a custom width. They are ford spindles I'm having altered to take my 12.88" Wilwood brakes. It wouldn't break my heart if it was less drop. I figure what ever it is I'll do the back to match. Supposedly it is a higher tensile steel. I think the ford axle and steering components are prettier. and something different.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote