View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #98
ljackson

Re: Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

My son and I put the parts from an ’81 GMC under the 64 on the original cross member. Everything went pretty smooth. One thing to look out for, when drilling the holes out for the 9/16 U bolts, be sure to keep the bit from wandering toward the cross member. We had 2 holes that we had to wrench because we could not get a socket on them. We used the booster and MC from the ’81. We also reused all of the front brake lines. We disconnected the line on the going to the rear underneath the cab. The lines going to the front brakes will use the oval holes in front of the cross member. We used some new ¼” lines going to the back. 1, 51” long and 1, 12” line and 2 couplers. I bought a ¼ to 3/16 adapter but I did not need it. The original rear brake hose had a 3/16 double flare. The hose that I got from O’reilly’s that was supposed to be for the ’64 had a ¼ fitting. The numbers are: Brake Best BH401640. The box also reads that this number replaces DOR BH36502 and RAY 36502.

The truck sits a little higher now in the front. I suppose due to the old springs sagging. We haven’t done the back yet. Also it turns tighter to the left than the right. Do you know if I have something wrong? I may trim the right stop.

I couldn't find my pics. I'll take more and post them later.

http://zacks64longfleet.shutterfly.com/

Higher res. photos in my gallery.
ljackson is offline   Reply With Quote