View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #16
spacedebris

Re: New Member Saying Hi

I'll get some pic under the hood some time this next week and put them up.

I plan on saving the seat. Believe it or not, it is still comfortable the way it is. LOL. The frame is in perfect shape and moves easily. Even the sliders are smooth. My plans are to reuse that seat, just replace the foam and recover. I like the pattern so I'm going to just have it reproduced. There is a reupholster just down the road who has done work for me in the past who is extremely good at what he does. He actually saw me when I was towing the truck home and peaked in at the seat. He wants to do the work almost as much as I do. LOL

The body was completely dent free when I purchased it. However, I dont have room to store it at home so I have it in storage. However, they attempted to move it without my permission or with me being present and you see that large grey primer area from the drivers door to just past the fuel door? They drug it against a concrete pole that put a dent in the side that was about 15 inches by about 42 inches. I was livid. However the owner of the storage owned up to the damage, fired the manager who did the damage and fully paid for all the repairs. Still pissed me off but at least they did everything they could to make it right. He as assured me that no one will even go near it in the future without me being there to supervise.

At first glance there doesnt seem to be much rust, however the more we dig in the more we find. But thats normal. Good news is that the hood is solid, and there is no rust in the filler fender panels. It seems that none of the "normal" rust areas are bad. The rockers are in good shape, only a little surface rust that I've already taken care of. The floors are all in good shape. The wood bed is solid but really ugly. But thats from nearly 30 years of neglect. The hard parts are going to be....

The roof..

The lower door pillar on the drivers side....

And the drip rail....

It looks like a previous owner tried to hide/fix rust along the drip rail. At least thats what I think they may have been doing. But what they did was put fiberglass cloth in the drip rail and partially up the roof and then filled most of the drip rail with body filler. Then smoothed it up on the roof. Its a PITA to try to get all the body filler out of the drip rail. My body work skills are barely above novice. I can do some of the minor rust repairs, but for the big stuff I have a friend that runs a hot rod shop that is doing the major repairs for me. He says that there is nothing there that cant be fixed and most of it is fairly easy. It just takes time.
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote