View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 01:23 AM   #19
spacedebris

Re: New Member Saying Hi

For those interested in the Cummins swap.

I'm using a Cummins out of a '95 Dodge 2500. I took the engine, trans, and the rear axle out of the dodge and put into the Panel. You can even see the Dodge wheels in the 2nd pic of post #1.

The reason I chose the 95 Cummins is due to it being one of the last "p" pumps. All manual, no computer crap. Plus they can build a lot of power.

Some of the things I've learned so far. This swap would not likely work well with a C10 unless you beef up the suspension a lot. The diesel is just too heavy. Even with my C30 it will defiantly need much more modern suspension. I have not decided on what/how exactly yet as I'm on hold.

Also, take note as to how far into the passenger compartment the Cummins is. Width wise, there was plenty of room under the hood. But length wise, I had to put nearly 2 cylinders through the firewall. Now I could have pushed it a little bit further forward, but for clearance with steering and accessories on the front, this is the best for my situation. My only concern with this is that as you can see in this pic

The exhaust is basically going through the passenger side of the cap. Its going to take a hell of a lot of insulation to try and keep the heat out.

One nice surprise is that I didnt loose much space under the dash. A little but not much. Also leg room for driver and passenger will be fairly good. wont have much for someone in the middle but cant have everything. I'm only going to have to move the accelerator and break pedals to the left 2 inches. When I make the new floor, it will be a removable section for access to the trans and filters.

If anyone has any questions feel free, I'll be happy to answer if I can. I can even get specific pictures if anyone needs, however since it is in storage those will be a little slow in coming as I cant just run outside and take them.
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote