View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #27
72LSLB

Re: New engine for 94 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockosocko View Post
If you're asking me.. I brought this to his attention and he pretty much said that
"some people follow directions, and some don't. And expect PERFECT RESULTS.."

It took a couple calls/emails, but finally got to actually speak to him for a while and by me also having a side business of offering a service to the public, could see where he's coming from.
He was polite to me, but basically told me that my combination of parts would take a long time and LOTS of cash to figure it out, and then might not be all that happy with results.

If you're going pretty much "STOCK", I think he would be able to suit you. But like anything that requires and ingredient list, the more you add, the worse it can get in a hurry. And can send you down rabbit holes that are going to get expensive.

Just keep it simple. Cold/ram air/ Header(s) are usually the first 'changes' people make.
A GOOD close friend used him and it took a couple chips, but ended up totally happy and suggested to me to do the same. (it's just I'm more hard headed and can't leave well enough alone)

BUT... What are you starting with? A P.O.S from C/L, or a vehicle that you know/have history/service knowledge since new? TOTALLY stock or NO? (then, what parts aren't?)
ALL sensors and ECU playing nice together?
ALL vacuum lines in good shape?
Good Grounds and wiring not all chewed up by ___? (DAMN idiots that install car alarms are one major culprit of electrical gremlins)
How many miles/years on _____ etc.. (sure it might be a low mileage, mint vehicle that sat in a air conditioned warehouse. but if the fuel lines/system are all gummed up well..)
Remember, they're pushing 30+yrs old. AND, even fuel ratings can play a part.

Gotta jet.
e
rockosocko,
I found this truck for my brother thru a guy at work. His mom was the original owner; she was under 5 feet tall so literally a little old lady. She only drove it to church and the grocery store. 31k original miles on it! The body is rust free. There was an issue with one of the spark plugs always fouling every couple of thousand miles. I replaced the plugs, wires, cap etc for him. It’s using a lot of oil, so I had him take it to a dude (my brother lives 4 hours away) to do a compression test. The one cylinder that kept fouling was leaking past the rings. For the amount it was going to cost to remove the engine and do the labor the mechanic said he should just get a new long block and reuse all of his accessories. He’d like to add headers, dual exhaust and a cam. I think he should just do the headers and duals with a cold air intake. Is a chip required for these upgrades?
I think he should also slam it (like my 72) but he’s 66 and doesn’t like slammed trucks.
His truck is super nice and worth upgrading, that’s for sure.