View Single Post
Old 10-23-2016, 07:48 PM   #4
mr48chev

Re: Chevy 250 swap into 53 pickup

I did the same thing as PWD hotrods said on mine. I made side mounts because I was in a big hurry at the time and they are too ugly to show photos of but there are ready made side mounts available for the swap. I shortened the shaft on my water pump and used a shorter pulley to clear the radiator but my fan is a rather flat blade flex fan that doesn't work all that well.
This is a photo that I nabbed off the net for my files that shows a nifty side mount for a 23, 250,292

You have to use a bit of imagination to figure where the radiator would be but it does show the shortened pump and my inadequate fan.

If I had do overs with that engine I would have used an electric fan on the top half of the radiator. When I put the 292 in I'll have to solve the fan issue one way or the other.

When I bought the truck in 1973 it came with a 192 six out of a Chevy II hooked to a V8 bellhousing with the stock 48 transmission and closed driveshaft behind it. It had been run that way for a long time and I drove it that way for about three months. Trans jumped out of second all the time though. I swapped in a late 50's trans and 61 Impala rear axle that we had torched all the brackets off and drove it to the Street Rod Nationals in Tulsa from Waco tx that year.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote