View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
Ticker
Account Suspended

Re: 383 stroker kit questions?

A Vortec 383 is perfection IMHO

I am not a Skip White fan, and I don't personally care for that kit. I see it as a real mismatch of parts. Cast crank (NOT FORGED, despite the headline), forged pistons and heavy stock-type rods that are clearance-ground.

They note themselves that the pistons are "700+ horsepower" (and another place, 800+ horsepower ) which a cast crank certainly won't hold. Note also that the assembly is not balanced which makes it a low-RPM kit. Frankly, I believe it would be very difficult to balance given the bobweight of the rotating ass'y. They also flat-out lie in their ad with this contradiction:

"We do our own balancing with a Hines balancer. Our machinist has been with us for 18 years. When we balance this setup, it will be within race engine specs. We include a balance sheet with your setup. We have noticed several rotating assemblies on the market, at surprisingly low prices, only to find they are not balanced. These sellers fail to even mention if they are balanced or not, but upon inquiry we quickly finds them not to be balanced, hence the lower price. Beware of such. "

AND:

We only offer the external balanced crank, as this offers much more clearance for the block than the internal cranks do. Using internal bal. cranks, may cause problems in clearance within the block, and oil pan. You must still check oil pan clearance before completing your engine.

This is complete and utter BS. They rip non-balanced assemblies, sidestep the fact that theirs isn't internally balanced and then cover up the fact they're using stock-type rods that require significantly clearancing by blaming it on the balance!

Another one I like is:

"SBC CHEVY SCAT 383 FORGED ROTATING ASSEMBLY FT 2PC+30 "

AND:

"SCAT 383 CAST NODULAR STEEL CRANKSHAFT RATED AT 500+ HP 2 PIECE MAIN STYLE."

My biggest bone with Skip White is their ad is full of - excuse me - BS. They throw out a lot of terms and "buzzwords" that either are misused or meant to spread FUD. Liars seldom make good business partners...

I seldom come out quite this hard, and I'm sure folks have made these assemblies work - but IMHO, they're junk. I caught a lot of Hell for this perspective in another post...but I can only call it the way I see it

Last edited by Ticker; 07-02-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Ticker is offline   Reply With Quote