View Single Post
Old 12-31-2006, 09:33 PM   #9
kenm78
Broken Down

Re: HELP!! lot of gunk under valve covers... is this from coolant?? how to clean??

I had a old 70's model 350 that had a intake manifold gasket go bad and leaked coolent into the lifter valley I drove it for about a year like that I thought it was burning the water due to a possible head gasket seeping and finally decided to pull the intake off to replace the gasket due to oil leak and it look like white and black sludge all over everything. My dad told me to wipe as much off as I could and install the intake and new gaskets back drain and refill oil and filter but ADD 1/2 CUP OF DEISAL FUEL INTO THE CRANKCASE LET IT RUN FOR UNTIL IT GET WARM AND THEN DRAIN OIL AND CHANGE FILTER I DID THIS 3 TIMES AND WHEN i PULLED THE VALVE COVERS BACK OFF IT WAS NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERANCE He informed me that the deisal cleans the sludge off pretty good. I didn't believe him and laughed at him but hell I was a snought nosed Teen at the time! We all thought we new more than our parents... Again never heard this before my dad told me about it and I tried. Just my 2 cents.

“It’s better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder about your ignorance, than open your mouth and reveal all doubt”
kenm78 is offline   Reply With Quote