View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 10:14 PM   #13
izzy_Britton

Re: GM connect and cruise engine package

2 years ago this month I bought a 2004 suburban with a 5.3 / 4L60e for $400 from a local tow yard, was a easy roll over, the guy was DUI and never came to pick it up. I drove it onto the trailer to get it to a buddies shop where he pulled engine, trans, wire harness, computer, and fuel tank for me. He did all this for me in trade for the left over parts that he then later paid me $500 for. So in reality I was paid $100 to take a 5.3 /4L60e. I bought an oil pan for a 2000 camaro for $160 (ish) and complete billet (bits and pieces) f.e.a.d. system from ITC billet for maybe $500. and a Dirty Dingo A/C mount for another $140. This is definitely the way to go in my opinion.

I have since bought 18 more 99-07 GM trucks for the engine and trans combos, for 3-400 $$ each on average, one was $700 and one was $1.00, I have kept and fixed 5 of those for me and one for my step son.

What i am getting at is... craigslist is a great tool, but dont limit yourself to classified ads. Some people dont have the balls to walk up to a house or repair shop that has something in the yard that they want, knock and ask if they are willing to part with said desired item. I will tell you I used to not. I have in the past two years beat on numerous doors and asked if those people want to part with many different cars and trucks and although there is a lot of turn downs, there have been a few nice scores. the VAST majority of the trucks i have bought have come from the local tow and impound yards, granted i used to drive tow truck so i know just about all of the yard owners personally, but if you are patient and make your rounds to the different yards in your willing travel radius you will probably get too lucky. you will find one that fits your bill of needs and probably get a few more calls than you really wanted about trucks or cars that come available after you have already found your donor vehicle. I have a few tow yards that call me about once every other month (combined) to let me know they have a truck or car that is up on lien sale and i have first dibs on it if i am interested. Just saying that the confidence to BEG for crashed or impounded cars is everything when looking for the right donor vehicle.
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote