Thread: Triple Threat
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2016, 11:47 PM   #11
izzy_Britton

Re: Triple Threat

Had a busy but slower than expected weekend working on Shop Truck.

After getting the truck started i let it sit and idle for about 30 minutes while i worked on disassembling the left front parts so that it would get the battery changed up.

It is hard to tell but the oil puddle is about a foot and a half long and 10 inches wide. with a steady drip feeding the puddle.

The oil is dripping ONLY while the truck is running. the oil drips from the starter bolt to the floor and a second drip runs down the block to the the bottom and drips from there. picture shows it all. I am really hoping that the oil is leaking from the plug in the block directly above the starter.

Meanwhile;

Took the left front apart to change out the knuckle and lower ball joint, it snowballed quickly into a mess and 25 trips to the parts store.

changed out the knuckle for a used junk yard knuckle, when unbolting that the upper ball joint was obviously worn out so slapped a new one on there, new lower ball joint. the axle stub was pulled right out of the front differential so i took the axle and the knuckle out as a unit. I dont have a tool powerful enough to loosen the axle nut so i begged the neighboring repair shop to spin it off with the air gun. The neighbor guy had to use a 3/4 impact gun to get it off, it was stuck pretty good. New inner and outer tierod ends, new rotor and i 'rebuilt' the caliper. New left front brake line and brake pads.

you might be able to see in the photos that the PO changed out the brake line but left the old one installed. So the old line was attached to the caliper but not the brake lines of the truck and the new line was attached to the brake lines of the truck but not to the caliper. I think this guy was smoking a little too much if his own product.

found the old spare tire from a previous truck that i snagged only the drive train for, and the left is pretty much done. I still need to get it to the alignment shop and install the cotter pins to keep everything that i installed today, installed.

Next is the right front

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote