View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 11:44 AM   #5
paulspickupparts

Re: "Basics of Basics" Removing rusty bolts.

MARTINSR has some very good tips . I have used penetrant as it cools but often times gets burned up in the removal process . Beeswax seems to work better but really think the heat is the key.

I will put my torch against any penetrating oil I have ever used. In fact I am running propane(cheaper than aceytelen for cutting) and oxygen for cutting and still use that cutting head to loosen screws and bolts. You just have to be more careful and adjust your flame to mimic a small brazing tip flame. Big bolts you might need a rosebud.

Also if you have one that is really stubborn I will not let the screw or bolt cool . Torch in one hand , screwdriver or wrench in the other. I have had several screws freeze back up as the red heat went away. Simply reheat and repeat.

Also another little tip. Spray the frozen part with penetrant. I then take it to my cabinet blaster and bast any threads that could be showing . It removes the few thousands of rust that build on to it.

If you want some great tips talk to a mechanic that removes broken head and exhaust bolts from heads . You can actually take a small bolt and weld it to the broken bolt , heat and remove. They have many other tricks also.

My machinist is almost 70 years old . He should write down all the secrets he learned in the last 50+ years. It would be a thick book but a great read..

Last edited by paulspickupparts; 01-29-2018 at 11:58 AM. Reason: speeling ha
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote