View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 01:27 PM   #967
SCOTI

Re: Project: Recycle

Slo-Mo progress was made. The constant assemble/dis-assemble/assemble takes time & had to be done multiple times.

I set-up my 2nd 'shock' jig so I could do a better job of locking in trueness of the upper & lower mount positions. With both upper & lower mounts on V.2 solidly locked square in place, the shock should travel w/o bind so I felt it was a better option. It also allowed mounting an angle finder to narrow down shock angle which you need to know when calculating for the springs.

With the new a-arm combo in place, I needed to get the upper C/O mount to fully seat both horizontally & vertically. It kept fighting me. I was trying to leave the vertical portion of the bracket base as tall as possible & then slim it down after it was tacked/welded together but it wouldn't allow the horizontal parts to seat flush. I trimmed it back an 1/8 of an inch. Still not good enough. Did it again.... Still not there. Made the decision to just trim it flush w/the upper a-arm mount which helped.

While alignment there was getting better, I noticed the shock was crowding the original remaining upper bag mount. To remedy this, I then cut that same vertical bracket base into 2 separate pieces. This allowed the upper shock mount to move 1/4" farther out which yields 1/4" more clearance for front a-arm shaft stud.

This all took the better part of 8hrs yesterday w/the marking, dis-assembly, cut, grind smooth, re-assemble.... Rinse, wash, repeat process. In the end, the upper bracket now is fitting flush on the horizontal & vertical portions on the bracket base & I have a 12° shock angle for calcs.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 06-14-2020 at 01:34 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote