View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #67
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

Re: 69 Custom 30 wrecker restoration

I haven't found a good used crossmember for the carrier bearing yet so I fabricated one from angle iron. (Pic 1)

I used the original top brackets as they were still good. Doesn't look factory but will do the job anyway. I'll keep searching for a good original, maybe I'll find one some day... My search here in PA only turns up ones in the same condition, rotted!

This seems to be a very hard to find part. A poor design on GM's part for sure.

Only one more tough item to find and that's the long arm (flyswatter) door mirrors. They are proving to be a REAL challenge so far! The search goes on...

It's been a good first year but was certainly the hardest of this project. There is still lots of grunt work to do but the real dirty work is just about over.

-------------Last update:---------------------

Well, things have wound down now. The weather is starting to change. Since those last pics, the steering box and linkage parts were reinstalled.

I've decided to wait until spring to install the engine and transmission. Engine is all tucked in on the engine stand. (Pic 2) These parts will stay alot cleaner in my garage than in the car port although I am tarping off both sides to block the wind and snow. (ugh, that dreded "S" word!)

Over the winter I will stick with my plan of working on smaller parts inside my garage. (with heater on!) I have PLENTY to do if I want. Re-upholster the seat, prep both fenders, re-skin both doors, strip innner fender wells and hood, etc, etc, etc. Whatever I can get done over the winter will be less I have to deal with next year.

Thanks for reading, more to come in the spring of '12...
Attached Images

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote