View Single Post
Old 03-09-2016, 04:01 PM   #47
crakarjax

Re: No Limit Trailing Arm Rear Suspension

Rob, first off I should say I love your products, and I apologize for asking so many questions about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
Sway Bars Rear sway bars are effective suspension tools that can be used to tune and custom tailor the ride to your liking. Our original design idea was to use a 'floating' bar and links, mounted to the chassis (again, reduction of un-sprung weight) and use links to connect to the trailing arms in a leveraged location. This will somewhat reduce to bars effectiveness, and allow the truck to 'settle in' to the corners with more tire grip.

This truck had a bunch of parts all ready on it. One of those items was a Hotchkis Suspension floating sway bar. Not a bad design, and almost exactly where we had planned our bar location. - If you check out our rear bar for OE C10's, it's in the same area. So, for the sake of the customer, we decided to re-use the Hotchkis bar. The links were adjusted and it bolts to the trailing arm in the provided mount lugs. The Hotchkis Bar is 3/4" solid. Our plans call for a 1" x .120 wall bar. The twist rates are almost the same. To us, the larger bushing mount surface of the 1" bar is a plus.

*** We will report back on the driver feeling, bar vs. no bar ***
I think I recall someone saying that it's best for the rear bar to mount on or as close to the axle as possible, but this bar is mounted on the trailing arms. I gather that doing this reduces the effective rate of the bar, by 33% based on the leveraged mounting location. Is there any other benefit to mounting on the axle besides maintaining bar effectiveness/less bar weight?