View Single Post
Old 11-27-2015, 12:01 PM   #23
In The Ten Ring

Re: Remove Front Cab Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73737373 View Post
The Dremel worked great, but couldn't get the cab seperated far enough from the frame to slide the new bushing and shims in the front. UGH!!! I have an extra rear cab mount bushing and was able to successfully slide that one in in the front plus reuse the shims (mine had 2), but the bushing that's supposed to go in like in the picture above, simply would no go in. I'm going to loosen the rear mount on the same side and jack up the cab again and see if that works. I need about another 1/8 of an inch of clearance, and even w/that, will still have to hammer in the shim(s). That's as far as I got late Wed afternooon when it was 70 degrees and sunny. Rained yesterday and more of the same for today, Sat and Sunday, so it will sit for a while until the weather warms up.
Glad the Dremel Tool worked.

Here is what I did.

1). Put penetrating oil (ZEP 45, which is much better than PB Blaster) onto the rear cage nuts and front nuts for weeks.

2). I removed all 4 bolts.

3). I removed the bushings also.

4). My cab had rotated a few degrees to the left, which would not allow the bolts to go in.

5). I jacked the cab up on both sides with trolley jacks and wood blocks, putting the blocking under the cab (framing) rails.

6). I used a large welding (screw) clamp to rotate the cab to the right.

7). I reused one rear cab to frame bolt as it has the sharpened point allowing it to hit the rear cage nut easily. *The bolts from Wes at Classic Heartbeat had blunt ends, not the best.

8). I turned one rear bolt (from Wes) on a grinding wheel to a point so it would hit the other cage nut easily.

9). My truck has been "repaired" by metal welded over the cab support framing.....the shims were a tight fight but I got those in. My new shims were from a machine shop and were the size in the diagram above. Everything fit perfectly.

10). I tightened all rear bolts and all front nuts till the bottom washer touched the rubber, then I applied two marks with a sharpie, and turned the bolt or nut 1 more full turn (advice of Wise at Classic Heartbeat).

11). My dad held the heads of the front bolts with a large box ended wrench and I used a 1/2 inch ratchet on the bottom (nut).
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote