View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 03:18 PM   #13
jfnar

Re: Straight 6 Offenhauser Woes

I thought I'd finish up by posting my findings and how I fixed it. I removed the carb and checked for whatever was causing the tight spot. I didn't really find anything obvious but I did find that if I loosened the small screw in the end of the throttle shaft on the opposite end from the actuation lever the tight spot went away. I'll show a pic below. It's a 10-32 screw only about 1/4" long. I replaced it with a 3/4" long screw with two nuts run all the way to the head. It didn't bottom out in the threads so I put blue lock tite on it and ran it down close to the bottom nut. I then ran the bottom nut down until it was just snug but not causing the binding. I jammed the other nut against it to hold it in place. It works much better now. It's still a little stiff to get started but not nearly as tight as before. After getting this all reconnected I adjusted the idle speed by ear; I don't have a tach; then I connected a vacuum gage. It's pulling 22" Hg so I didn't adjust anything else. Going to drive it like it is for awhile and see how it goes.
Attached Images

Last edited by jfnar; 02-09-2018 at 11:32 AM.
jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote