View Single Post
Old 02-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #59
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Towing C10..... what do I need ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68post View Post
I'd use a C20 as a minimum, or a C30, and with an 4L80E. Bigger/better ; brakes, radiator, springs, frame, 8 lugs, and lower gearing - all built-in from the go.
There is only a couple of differences between the 3/4 and 1 ton. The biggest difference was name plate for registration purposes.

The spindles, calipers, and pads were different. Although ever so slightly bigger. 1 tons never had a th350 the 3/4 tons did, and on occasion the SF 14 bolt which is kind of rare.

Only 454's, and diesels got the huge radiator. That is a nice touch if your going for the max.

My camper special was rated at 10,000 pounds of towing, and you had to get a dually to get to 11,500. There are few packages that moved it up or down.

My dead 350 in my C20 with 4.11 gears, and 32 inch AT tires never got more then normal warm towing my cousin's T-Bird. The car was full of stuff, and the trailer was more of a HD model. My guess was 8000-8500 pounds total. For the guys in the LA area I brought it over Kellogg hill, and had no issues with stopping at the bottom. While not a long hill the grade is decent.

Either way if it were me I would get a 3/4 ton, add full bolt ons, and a 4L80E. Then depending on your style either trim the height with a drop or put on some 33's for the right look.
Ziegelsteinfaust is online now   Reply With Quote