Thread: 292 rebuild
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2018, 05:40 PM   #20
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: 292 rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
The guy I got it from, his dad owned the truck since new, and at approx. 150k pulled the motor in favor of a BBC. He always wanted a BBC in his truck, and since he and the truck were "retired", he made his dream a reality.

The paint on the valvecover is silver mist blue or some name like that. Like an old time light blue silver
150 thousand. OK, cool. That excuses it from the ''picked while still ripe'' bin.
I have run a 292 to 250 K, but my last one was smoking a lot and burning a quart of 50 weight at alarming intervals for the last stretch. Probably not lose much cylinder wall 'meat' in going straight to .030-over. Santucci's book says the first year [MY 1963] has forged iron 6-lobe cranks. He said the '68 cranks were cast steel, but with more dowel pins, bigger bolts and 12-lobes were better balanced. But you can do machining tricks with the iron crank, like knifing or feathering the edges.
Also thinking about a lump-ported head.
When I rebuild this one it will likely get Detroit Diesel Green again. Just to be different. Actually, I think I saw some VHT engine paint in O'Reilly's as "Alpine Green''.
Although Chevy Engine Orange would be period correct for a '67 K/10 Suburban. That Sub had a BBC 454 when I got it. I liked the torque, but it got 6 City and 8 Highway MPG. With gas more than 25 cents a gallon for Premium Leaded, as it was when new, that gets expensive.
Thanks for the info.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote