View Single Post
Old 11-03-2017, 08:07 PM   #1
PhilistineAu

1985 C10 long bed L96 6l90e swap

Well, I've decided to take the plunge!

I've had my C10 for about 6 years now. Purchased it while working in Wyoming from a friend for $1,500. Brought it back to Houston (it survived the hurricane!) and resprayed it "sonic blue" in my garage (neighbors were not the biggest fans). Bought some new chrome and lights from LMC, worked elbow grease and polish on the bumpers and installed new rims. Since the engine runs a bit rough and the 700R4 will no longer shift into second, I thought it might be time for an upgrade.

About 2 weeks ago I purchased a 6l truck engine with the 6l90e transmission. I'm feeling a little out of my depth but there is so much knowledge on the forums, I am hoping people will be able to steer me in the right direction.

I've been collecting copious notes from all the forums. So far this is the plan:
- radiator from a silverado or purchase new aluminum with electric fans
- have the transmission and motor mounts from Tejas Steelworks. Finished painting them black this evening
- purchased a Quantum fuel 340 lph fuel pump, 87 fuel tank with sump, 58 psi regulator and 87 sender unit. Not sure yet about hard line or just run full braided line. Engine is a returnless sytem (so return from the regulator back to the tank). Also purchased the 87 tank switch but will probably run a single tank at first
- need to sort out transmission cooler. Thinking of running and aftermarket cooler up front. I think my sump has an engine oil cooler connection on it as well...
- going to try to use the stock 2015 silverado harness and as many of the 2015 accessories as possible (alternator, AC compressor and fuel pump)
- engine exhaust doesn't have O2 sensors. Supposedly cast iron manifolds may not fit, so may need to get aftermarket headers with O2 bungs and then work out what sensors I need for the L96 harness.
- driveshaft will likely need to be replaced. Do not have a yoke on the 6l90e.
- transmission... not sure if my column shift cable will work or what I need to do here. Pretty sure I will have this sorted before I start the engine so it doesn't shoot forward and drive itself through the garage.
- not sure what some of the piping/connections are on the engine, but think I may have some EGR and EVAP connections that I need to understand...
- wiring. A little nervous about this. Need some relays for the fans. Need to work out how to get power to the fuel pump. Need to understand how to hook up gauges. May need to learn how to install a fuse box.

It's a work in progress.

Phil
Attached Images

PhilistineAu is offline   Reply With Quote