Thread: 47-55.1 AD wiring
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 12:58 PM   #9
mr48chev

Re: AD wiring

On thing I have seen with guys posting about wiring harness kits on this board, the HAMB and others is the quality of tech support that you get from the company after you buy the harness. Painless and Rebel Wire seem to have pretty good and consistent tech support as does Ron Francis. Ron Francis is one of the oldest wiring kit outfits out there but they are also the most expensive in most cases.
I looked on Amazon and found a couple of options for the price that Hogfarm quoted. both look interesting but I am more inclined to go with the GM color coded unit. It's a whole lot easier to wire with the GM color codes and who ever follows behind you if you sell the truck in a few years will be most appreciative in that they can easily figure out the wiring by the color coding.

One thing that is very important is to make sure that the kit includes enough wire and all the wires you need. That means long enough wires to reach the head and tail lights without splicing in wires. I've got an Ebay bargain price wiring harness out in the shed that was cheap and isn't bad for what is there but has no wire for the lights front or back and no wires for the accessories. It is a basic hook it up and get it running wire kit more intended for off road Jeeps or basic hot rods. It will end up in a very basic roadster so it isn't a big deal other than I was real disappointed when I received the kit and there was no wire for the head or tail lights.

If you do use that donor harness you will find that you are going to be eliminating a lot of the wires such as the ones for the high beam bulbs in the quad lights plus you will be cutting and splicing a lot to get the correct lengths rather than just installing wires. Then you have to deal with what ever someone did to the harness in the past if they bypassed a circuit because it had shorted or hooked up who knows how many different trailer wire hookups over the years. My 77 1 ton is the biggest wiring mess that I have ever owned because everyone that owned it over the years made some change to it plus there are original circuits that don't work and are bypassed. I've got to completely rewire the tail, stop and turn lights plus the clearance lights on the bed and am not looking forward to it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote