View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 10:15 PM   #37
rkn463

Re: 68 C50 Looongbed pickup build

A few more random notes:

No one has mentioned it but the 89 is a really solid truck and it seems a shame to kill it, however the entire truck will be used. The 16 foot box is now storage and may become an enclosed trailer at some point. The frame and complete drive-train is going to the 68 and the cab and sheet metal will end up replacing the trashed cab and sheet metal on my brother's 73 c65 dump truck. So while its present incarnation has drawn to an end I will not be wasting anything.

Back to my earlier post (# 21) about shortening the frame my original desire to cut in area "B" was to preserve the driveline angle in the "A" area which already has a considerable angle compared to "B". Still mulling that over...

Last weekend I had mentioned the wiring junction that I think is a really cool idea, included a picture below.

Finally a reference back to post # 14, when I was drilling the steering linkage to move the steering stops I broke off a drill bit while drilling the pilot hole in the second part. The remains were stuck tight and I spent a few minutes freaking out followed by a lot of foul language. I went back to something I'd had some success with in the past: drill a hole in a washer, place over the bit and hit it with a spot weld. On the second try I managed to get it to stick and was able to pull the piece of the broken bit out, pictures below.
Attached Images