View Single Post
Old 06-28-2018, 06:11 PM   #19
WOLFMANmike

Re: beating my head trying to figure this out please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
With more timing you will have a slightly cooler running engine. Check the depth of fan in the shroud. There is a spec something like half in and half out.

A 180 will have a variance in it. Its mechanical, not perfect. Flush your cooling system, including taking out the drain plugs in the block. You will be surprised at what comes out.

Do not use tap water with your coolant. Use a recovery tank with 16 lb radiator cap. There are many other tricks also.
ok so i see alot of you are calling for more timing . so that is where im going to start .. so on my birthday this month i hope to be getting my new plug n play Pertronix Flame thrower III Dist not that i am saying there is anything wrong with my HEI i get that. but i want this new Dist because it has much more room being a design of the old points style for movement and ease of taking off the cap for tuneups and stuff so when i get that i will throw in more timing this is like running a MSD pro billet dist without the need for a box. i will also change to a 165 deg Tstat and i will do a engine flush .. i never run tap water i always use Distilled Water Coolant and Water Wetter .. as far as the shroud goes .. its not that kind of shroud mine is for a electric fan the its a shroud that covers the whole radiator accept where the fan goes so that the air is forced into the radiator only and the fan then pulls it into the engine bay ... but i know what you mean about half in on a stock shroud . i do run a over flow tank as well . as far as the cap its the one that came with the radiator so maybe i should check and see the psi of it . i did slip on that one till now
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote